In updated flu vaccine ordering guidance, published this month, HS England has told GPs that it will not reimburse the high-dose trivalent vaccine (TIV-HD) on cost grounds.
Providers are told to order currently licensed vaccines, aTIV, QIVe and QIVc for the 2019/20 season for their populations in eligible groups. Recommended use protocol is:
- Individuals aged nine years and over: cell grown quadrivalent vaccine (QIVc – Flucelvax, Tetra)
- 18 to 64-year olds in clinical at-risk groups and other eligible groups, including frontline health and social care workers: standard egg cultured quadrivalent inactivated vaccine (QIVe)
- Individuals aged 65 years and over: adjuvanted trivalent inactivated vaccine (aTIV)
A summary table and information on vaccine cost is available to download
In its November letter, NHS England states that Public Health England will continue to procure and supply vaccines for children aged six months to 17 years.
The vaccinations for children are
- Aged two and 17 years: Live attenuated quadrivalent influenza vaccine (LAIV)/quadrivalent inactivated vaccine
- Aged six months to under two years (in clinical risk groups): quadrivalent inactivated vaccine.