Eating disorders are many things, but one of the best words to describe them is “complicated”. As a starting point, simply getting to grips with the number of people who are affected is difficult because many people don’t present to health services so aren’t diagnosed: often regarded as something that affects teenagers, the risk of onset is certainly greatest in this age group but eating disorders occur in individuals of all ages. And there are many causative factors at play.
This training, available free and exclusively to DDA members, is designed to dispel the myths surrounding eating disorders and provide practice dispensary staff with knowledge that will help them support affected patients, and the people close to them.
By the end of this article you will:
- grasp the complexity of eating disorders
- understand the importance of effective management
- appreciate the different ways in which an eating disorder may present
- be able to advise on the possible care pathway for someone who is diagnosed with an eating disorder
- understand how to support someone with an eating disorder and those close to them.
Throughout this training, you will find various activities to help reinforce your learning. Ten, multiple choice questions at the end will help you identify any areas needing a quick recap
DDA members can visit the library of Dispenser Education Modules to access the training.