Dispensary services have contributed to outstanding ratings for two DDA members.
The Tillingham Medical Centre in Southminster, Essex, received four outstanding ratings for care, effectiveness, responsiveness to people’s needs, and quality of leadership.
Dispensary services such as weekly or monthly blister packs and large print labels for people who needed additional support with their medicines were noted for their contribution to the practice’s responsiveness rating.
Outstanding effectiveness was boosted by the practice’s bi-monthly meetings with the hospice team to ensure that medicines that may be required at the end of life were prescribed in a timely and efficient manner.
At the Rosedean Surgery in Liskeard, Cornwall, dispensing services were cited in the outstanding ratings for responsiveness to people’s needs, and quality of the leadership.
On the measure of responsiveness, the practice dispensary was cited for providing blister packs each week. Leadership quality was evidenced by changes to the dispensary and dispensary services made to meet increased demand and to assist patients more efficiently.
Inspectors reported that the dispensary played a key role in the practice’s good rating for care:
- Patients said they appreciated having the dispensary and said getting repeat medicines was not a problem
- There were a variety of methods of ordering medicines, including online, face to face, by repeat slip, by email or telephone message at any time
- Medicines ordered by the practice on behalf of patients who because of mental health or frailty were unable to remember to order their medicines
- Daily and weekly prescriptions for people at high risk.
Non-DDA member Marshalls Road Surgery in Raunds, Wellingborough, has received an inadequate rating for safety. Problems with controlled drugs included:
- The register not held with the controlled drugs
- Register balance did not match stock levels.
Following the inspection, the practice decided to no longer dispense CDs
Other reported problems (subsequently addressed) included:
- Dispensary temperature not monitored
- Dispensary left unlocked when unattended.