Prescription volumes in England are up by 1.89 per cent during the year 2015-16 to 1.1 billion items, latest prescription cost data shows.
The cost of drugs by the end of 2015-16 was £9.20 billion, a decrease of 0.67 per cent compared to the previous year’s end.
Top three categories by volume are:
- Cardiovascular system: 319.7 million
- Central nervous system: 206.8 million
- Endocrine system: 106.8 million
- Central nervous system: £ 1.8 billion
- Endocrine system £1.4 billion
- Respiratory system £ 1.1 billion