Changes in the branded discount landscape over the past 10 years put increasing pressure on the viability of the dispensary, said Simon Coles, head of PSUK, in his presentation on the opening day of the DDA 2022 annual conference.
In a sponsored conference presentation, Conquering tomorrow together – maximising your profitability, he advised practices that “generics are where you, as a practice, can make margin.”
The presentation offered tips for dispensary profitability including:
- Specials – Use a provider that maximises discount and make sure they are in part 8D when ordering
- Always use the online Drug Tariff
- Familiarise yourself with the dm+d
- Review ICB prescribing requests with a dispensary profitability lens
- Open script opportunities provide a good profit opportunity
- 28 vs 56-day prescribing
The presentation also covered PSUK member benefits such as the generics ‘Keys’ gx programme, APM+ and PSUK education programme. He said all offers were based on four principles:
- Expertise and guidance
- Time saving
- Generate practice profit (up to £13k per year).
Coles summed up: “There is no magic bullet that anyone at this conference can give you to solve all [dispensary] challenges.”
View the presentation (SC).