In his chairman’s address to the DDA 2019 annual conference Dr Richard West will update members on the current review of Drug Tariff reimbursement.
In his presentation on the opening day of the conference (Wednesday 9 October) Dr West will warn that the potential for change to reimbursement is as serious as the threat posed by the Pharmacy White Paper of 2008. Among the concerns voiced by the DDA are that the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has not published an impact assessment on the effects of the changes on dispensing doctors. In addition, the DHSC is not intending to discuss the implementation with representatives of dispensing practice. This is unacceptable to the DDA because we will have no way of knowing the effects of the change until they are implemented.
Other highlights of the DDA conference programme include the following presentations:
- Weds 9 Oct: Dealing with dispensing and PCNs, and clarification of DSQS requirements: Mark Stone and Krishna Kasaraneni, GPC dispensing lead
- Thursday 10 October: Understanding dispensing income, controlling expenditure: DDA Board member Dr Philip Koopowitz
- Thursday 10 October: Practical dispensary management – reducing errors from point of receiving orders to dispensing medication
There is also a free lunch and learn (Wednesday 9 October, 13.15-14:00) sponsored by Dispensing Doctor Solutions, looking at formulary development and how to increase profitability. Free entry tokens for the DDS lunch and learn are available to dispensary staff from the DDA’s stand.
Also available free from the DDA stand:
- Free entry tokens for the DDA’s networking drinks (DDA stand, Wednesday 9 October, at 17.00)
- Free printed copies of the new ‘Keep It Local’ dispensary poster. View the poster online in the library of DDA member only resources.
View the conference presentation: Chairman’s address